1. Create the illusion that everyone loves trans people now; there is no discrimination or prejudice anymore and that life for them is just a bowl of cherries. Check.
2. Create the myth that there is a powerful and sinister trans lobby operating behind the scenes that conspires to manipulate and control to the extent that they already have too much power now and are taking over. As evidenced by them getting ‘uppity’ recently and having the temerity to ask if they’re going to get equal rights at some point in the future. Check. Double-Check.
3. Turn the wealthy and powerful journalistic establishment who have traditionally persecuted and marginalised them into the actual victim instead. Check. Double-Check.
4. Re-iterate the usual pseudo-scientific misinformation about the ‘unfair advantages’ trans people have in sport backed up by no-one in particular. Check.
5. Of course, don’t forget to repeat the obligatory line that all trans people conform and reinforce patriarchal gender stereotypes whilst all cis people do not. Check. Double-Check.
6. In order to further terrify the reader, make casual mention of a trans person who has committed a crime – or is notorious in some way, like did time for alleged disloyalty or treason. Check. Double-Check. Triple-Check.
7. By all means, please remember to make the ridiculously offensive association with paedophilia (*Too over the top for the target reader audience to swallow? Go on, be bold…Trump is in power now and tomorrow belongs to Putin!). Check.
8. Reassure the reader that even if by the end of your article they have formed the suspicion that you have an ulterior motive to lie and demonize the extraordinarily diverse trans community, it doesn’t really matter if knuckle dragging bigots are incited by your words of hate and misinformation to actually go out there and discriminate, beat, rape and murder innocent trans people because they are basically a really miniscule minority anyway so in a world where rampant fascism’s back in fashion, they’re small and they don’t matter. Like Belgium. Check.
9. Conclude by claiming that you are not prejudiced, of course. Check.
(*Please note, will also work just as well when the outrageously right-wing media baron whom you work for wants to scapegoat a. immigrants; b. single parents; c. non-white people; d. the working class; e. disabled people; f. Muslims etc.) Happy paycheck journalism!